Are you interested in getting some firsthand natural building experience, but you're not sure where to start? Join The Year of Mud this September for a 5 day introductory Natural Building Essentials Workshop. In this course, you’ll get hands-on experience stomping and sculpting cob, building light clay straw walls, and mixing and applying various natural plasters. Additionally, you’ll witness several unique natural homes and projects in the local community.
If you’ve been curious about natural building but have been looking for a jump start with your own project, this is for you. This is an excellent opportunity to work with various natural materials and discover the versatility of clay, sand, straw, and wood. We’ll explore applications of cob, light clay straw, clay plaster, clay paint, and get to see firsthand examples of timber framing, straw bale building, cob ovens, and more. Some of what you'll get to try includes:
- Framing and preparing a stud wall to accept light clay straw insulation
- Mixing light clay straw for use as insulation
- Making and applying base clay plaster made from local materials
- Building with cob (and how to make a great batch every time)
- Working with different clay and lime plaster finishes and appropriate troweling techniques
- Mixing clay paint from simple ingredients for use on a variety of surfaces, including drywall